Karl Stefanovic claims to have worn the same suit for a year to prove there’s sexism against his female co-host, who is judged on what she wears.
“No-one has noticed,” he said. “But women, they wear the wrong colour and they get pulled up. They say the wrong thing and there’s thousands of tweets written about them.”
There are several points that need to be made here.
- The people who largely have a problem with his female co-host wearing “the wrong colour” are other women. Generally, men aren’t concerned about what a female television personality wears.
- He wore a dark, solid, neutral color that looked like it was a different color depending on the light.
- He changed his shirt and tie frequently.
- He wore different his pants, as evidenced in the video. In most pictures you can’t see his pants, but in the ones where you can his pants are different. In one he’s wearing jeans. In another pink chinos. Therefore he did not wear the same suit, but allegedly the same jacket!
- He admits to having occasionally dry cleaned the jacket/suit. You can see this in the pictures. Sometimes the suit is clearly blue, other times it looks navy, and other times it is clearly charcoal. Thus, it was NOT the same jacket for one year! If he was being honest he’d say he wore the same jacket for most of the year.
- Had he wore a jacket that was easily recognizable, like a bright pink suit with white chalk stripes, people would have definitely noticed, and they would’ve definitely said something.
Conclusion: sorry this is NOT evidence of sexism.